Tuesday, March 15, 2011

10.1


Yup. I did it. I honestly thought this day was a long way off, like something you talk about but don't ever really expect to happen. But it did! And honestly... it wasn't so bad.

I ended up going to the UNC-Duke game on Sunday too (poor Heels), and was pretty worn out when I got back to Chapel Hill. I felt bad, because I'd made plans to run with Callie, but I bailed to take a nap for a while instead. I slept for about an hour, and finally got myself ready to run around 6:30 or so.

The one great thing about daylight savings time is that it stays light out longer. So I got to enjoy a little more daylight for this run than I was expecting. I ran through Carrboro first, looped around to Merritt Mill and Cameron, down by the hospitals, then finished up with the Gimghoul loop and a couple miles through campus and down MLK.

It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to run the whole thing. I think that's a pretty decent time. I'm hoping to do the half marathon in 2.5 hours, or maybe a little less, so I feel like my pace is on track to meet that time. It was warm out, I could wear shorts and a tshirt, and I just ran. I enjoyed it-- I felt strong, but not like I was killing myself. There were a few times when I felt my knee hurting because of my IT band, but I just made myself run through it carefully. I got a little out of breath a couple times, but I never felt like I needed to stop. I had my CamelBak (thanks Schwei!) filled up with Trader Joe's Smart Water, so that was a big help to keep me going.

I've let myself be a little lazy here at the beginning of this week. Monday I knew I wanted to rest and give my legs a chance to catch up, and today I ended up catching dinner with my Uncle who I don't see very often. But I'm tired, I want to relax. I know I will run tomorrow.

Gotta get a couple 5-milers in, and then Saturday Jess and I will drive down to Wilmington. Can't believe it's already race week. It feels like it went by so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment