Saturday, March 19, 2011

5.04

This might be one of my favorite routes I've run so far. I started from Jessica's house near Cameron Village and ran down her street (Van Dyke St), up to Meredith, back through the neighborhoods behind Hillsborough, and down St Mary's back up behind Cameron Village. The houses on Van Dyke are so pretty - they're all different, and they're a little older. I love neighborhoods like that. It was also the warmest temperature for a run yet- it was 80 degrees yesterday! I hope it's here to stay.
I just got to Wilmington a few hours ago-- I can't believe the half marathon is tomorrow!!!! It seems like it's still so far away from actually happening. Jessica and I drove down this afternoon and just checked into the hotel. Here's the view from our room:



We went to the Expo to pick up our Registration packets at this hotel called Shell Island. There were a lot of people there- I think there are 2400 runners total. We picked up these Sport Bean packets- they're made by Jelly Belly, and they taste just like jelly beans, but they give you the same kind of energy as a Goo pack. (I've never had a Goo pack, but Jessica said the beans taste way better.) It was really cool to see everyone who was coming in for the race. I got pretty excited!

I am a little nervous, though. I've taken it really easy today, and I'm gunna make sure I stretch a lot tonight. I could feel my knee and IT band smarting a little this week and during the 10 miler, so I'm a little worried it's gunna bother me tomorrow. I don't want anything like that to keep me from actually finishing the run.... I swear I'll be so pissed if my knee acts up tomorrow.

We're hanging out in the room now, trying to figure out where we gunna go for pasta tonight. Then we're going to get our breakfast for tomorrow- bagels with peanut butter and bananas, and some Smart Water- and we'll be calling it a night, I guess! Wow. This time tomorrow... I will have run the longest distance I've ever run in my life - 13.1 miles.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment